There’s something so nostalgic about a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. It was my favorite packed lunch growing up and was ecstatic when my mom packed one as my lunch growing up. Peanut butter and jelly cupcakes are a nice trip back into your childhood days … in cupcake form.
For someone who is an absolute cupcake lover, it’s been quite a while since I made cupcakes “just because”. Until yesterday, I couldn’t remember the last time I baked cupcakes that weren’t for a particular event (birthday, bake sale, holiday, etc) and knew time was well over due.
Ingredients — Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped salted, roasted peanuts
- Preheat to 375 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with liners
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and mix in peanut butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Mix in sour cream and peanuts.
- Bake for about 19-22 minutes or until golden.
Ingredients — Frosting
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 table spoons milk, or as needed
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Place the butter and peanut butter into a medium bowl, and beat with an electric mixer
- Gradually mix in the sugar, and when it starts to get thick, incorporate milk one tablespoon at a time until all of the sugar is mixed in and the frosting is thick and spreadable
- Add vanilla
- Beat for at least 3 minutes, or until fluffy
- Spread onto cooled cupcakes
- Decorate with a dollop of jelly and crushed peanuts
The flavors that mimic and recreate my childhood and current cupcake baking love are paired together to construct a treat that brings us all back to the days of our youth.